Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The First Vegan Shop (aka, "honey, we don sell dat crap hera")

No one REALLY said that, you know. Well, not in those exact words at least.


But I gotta be honest here....shopping vegan is durn hard. Seriously. Last weekend JLo and I ended up shopping literally all day long (ok, we had a short stop at the mall to get a haircut/pedicure (respectively), but still....).


Even so called "health food stores" didn't have many of the items we were looking for, and in some cases, didn't even know what they were. I admit I had no idea what nutritional yeast was before I got going on this insane plan, but come on. I'm a corporate lawyer -- I don't run a health food store that supposedly caters to vegetarians/vegans.


But enough on that. We were able to get pretty much everything including Tofutti sour cream, which is blazingly difficult to find in Australia (non-dairy sour cream of any variety actually). In the end it took 1 produce market, 2 health food stores, 1 "vegan" shop and 1 online store. But we did it.


And honestly, its been a bit of a mixed bag.


Some of the meals we've made have been very good. Even JLo has liked them. And neither of us have found that we've missed meat at all or dairy at all. The switch to soymilk was surprisingly easy as well which I'm very glad about since JLo was "a bit concerned" about his morning Wheatbix.


On the other hand - I've felt like crap. After the first couple of days I noticed that I had a lot of energy. I was bouncing off the walls at some points, on days 3 and 4. But after that...well, I don't know what happened. But the energy was gone. In fact, I was exhausted all the time. And the stomache was...well let's just say, things were not as they should be.

But I've slogged through - and today I feel a little bit better. I have heard from other people that it takes some time for your body to adjust to the changing nutritional profile. I hope that's the case!

Vegan Week 1 Results
7/10

1 comment:

  1. It's not just the changing nutritional profile that you have to get used to. Your body is probably going though a detox. You've finally stopped filling it full of animal products that it can't properly deal with, so now it's making the most of its opportunity to flush a few toxins out of your system. Bear with it! A lot of people start to think veganism isn't for them at this point & give up, but if you stick with it, you'll soon start to feel a lot better.

    ReplyDelete